Thursday, March 11, 2010

Childhood Temptations

There is something I remember I did as a kid. I would steal a bag of chips from a local store owned by a neighbor whose name I only remember as Manang Maring. I would have to do it when she had to go to church. Haha. It wasn't at all my idea at that time. It was my cousin's and his friends who were all my neighbors too. I was only 5. One time they had a plan. They wanted to let me get in Manang Linda's store and pretend I was going to buy something. If I did not cooperate, they would never ever wanna play with me again. I was going to place the money in the little box (the till) and I was gonna have to tell Manang Linda that I dropped in 5 Pesos instead of the real amount I had which was only 1 Peso ( it was a reward my grandpa gave me for pulling off his gray hair). I remember how anxious my cousin and his friends waited outside and how angry they were when I forgot what I had to say when I dropped the coin in the till. I remember how nervous I was and how my mom had to smack me when she learned about it. I was never made to play with them ever again. Related Story

I happened to pass by that very same store when I was on a holiday (last Christmas) .I could not help but smile when I saw it. It still looks exactly the same as it did in 1980. The owner has not changed a thing here. Manang Maring has long passed away and her store has outlived her. The place is no longer in business but here it is, upright sturdy. Perhaps the paint on the door did not have that color long ago but I am sure that the structure is original. Hahaaaa.

No comments: